Notes: For bread that is sweeter and more tender, use the largest measure of sugar. Purchase stone-ground cornmeal, which includes the germ (for nuttier flavor), at health food stores, or order from Giusto's Specialty Foods, (650) 873-6566; a 2-pound bag costs $1.44 plus shipping.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 251
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Protein: 6.4g
- Fat: 7.4g
- Saturated fat: 4.1g
- Carbohydrate: 39g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Sodium: 431mg
- Cholesterol: 64mg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup polenta, dehydrated masa flour (corn tortilla flour), or stone-ground cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons or 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- About 1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) cooled melted butter or margarine
- 1. In a bowl, mix flour, polenta, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, beat eggs to blend with buttermilk and 1/4 cup butter. Pour liquids into flour mixture and stir just until evenly moistened.
- 2. Scrape batter into a buttered 8-inch square pan and spread smooth.
- 3. Bake in a 400° oven until bread springs back when lightly pressed in the center and begins to pull from pan sides, about 25 minutes (20 minutes in a convection oven).
- 4. Cut bread into squares. Lift from pan with a slender spatula. Serve hot or cool.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note