I made these cookies for my daughter because she doesn't like chocolate and just wanted a plan cookie. Our family LOVED these cookies!! I had to make two extra batches because they were gone so fast. They were chosen over chocolate. The only thing I changed. I added an extra teaspoon of vanilla. I just rolled them into a log, wrapped them in wax paper and placed in freezer for about 15 minutes. Then we just cut them like cookie dough bought from the store. These were very easy! Will make again!!!
Vanilla Sugar Cookies
Photo: William Dickey; Styling: Rose Nguyen
More From Southern Living
Chill: 10 Minutes
Cool: 35 Minutes
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Beat butter, vanilla, and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add egg, beating until blended.
- 2. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating just until blended.
- 3. Divide dough into 2 equal portions; flatten each portion into a disk. Cover and chill 10 minutes.
- 4. Place 1 portion of dough on a lightly floured surface, and roll to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with a 3- or 4 1/2-inch butterfly-shaped cutter. Place cookies 2 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Repeat procedure with remaining dough portion.
- 5. Bake, in batches, at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes (for 3-inch cookies) and 15 to 17 minutes (for 4 1/2-inch cookies) or until edges are lightly browned. Let cool on baking sheets 5 minutes; remove to wire racks, and let cool 30 minutes or until completely cool. Decorate baked cookies as desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts