Cupcakes will rise over baking cup edges. Use a paring knife to gently loosen from pan.
Southern Living APRIL 2010
1. Prepare Vanilla Bean Custard.
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325°. Place baking cups in 2 (12-cup) muffin pans. (Do not grease.) Prepare angel food cake batter according to package directions using a paddle attachment. Stir in vanilla bean paste. Spoon batter into baking cups, filling completely full.
3. Bake at 325° on middle oven rack 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes.
4. Gently run a knife around edges of cupcakes to loosen. Remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely (about 20 minutes).
5. Scoop out centers of cupcakes, leaving a 1/2-inch border on bottom and sides. Spoon or pipe Vanilla Bean Custard into centers of cupcakes. Top with strawberries. Cover and chill until ready to serve. Garnish, if desired.
*2 tsp. vanilla extract may be substituted.
Note: We tested with a number of brands of cake mix and preferred Duncan Hines Angel Food Premium Cake Mix.
Go to full version of