GREAT RECIPE! Quick, easy and delicious. I cut the recipe in half and was very pleased with the results. Used varying amounts of food dye to make a cake with a gradient effect. I will use this frosting recipe again and again!
This vanilla frosting can be flavored many ways; see our variations that follow. You can make the frosting up to 2 days ahead; cover and chill. Bring to room temperature and stir until creamy and spreadable before using.
This recipe goes with Brown Dog Cupcakes
More From Sunset
- Calories: 86
- Calories from fat: 48%
- Protein: 0.1g
- Fat: 4.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.9g
- Carbohydrate: 11g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Sodium: 84mg
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- 1 cup (1/2 lb.) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 cups (1 lb.) powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- In a bowl, with a mixer (preferably fitted with whisk attachment) on low speed, beat butter, 2 cups powdered sugar, and the salt until blended. Add milk and vanilla; beat until blended. Add remaining powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating until incorporated. Turn mixer to high speed and beat frosting until fluffy and smooth.
- Coffee frosting: Replace milk and vanilla with 4 teaspoons instant espresso powder dissolved in 3 tablespoons hot water, then cooled.
- Lemon frosting: Replace milk with 2 tablespoons lemon juice, and vanilla with 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel.
- Mint frosting: Replace vanilla with 4 teaspoons crème de menthe or 1 teaspoon mint extract and 2 or 3 drops green food coloring, if desired.
- Orange frosting: Replace milk with 2 tablespoons orange juice, and vanilla with 2 teaspoons grated orange peel.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per tablespoon of Vanilla Frosting.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note