I am only reviewing the sauce, as I used a different cheescake recipe (the strawberry cheesecake from the same issue of CL but without the strawberries). This sauce is very good! It would liven up all kinds of things--ice cream, gingerbread, a spice cake, and very definitely a simple vanilla cheescake I made.
Vanilla Cheesecake with Rum Raisin Syrup
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
Puréed cottage cheese gives this cheesecake a silky, creamy texture. The syrup is good on ice cream, too.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 cheesecake wedge and about 1 1/2 tablespoons syrup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 203
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 5.6g
- Saturated fat: 3.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 6.6g
- Carbohydrate: 27.9g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Cholesterol: 33mg
- Iron: 0.5mg
- Sodium: 223mg
- Calcium: 41mg
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat vanilla wafer crumbs (about 20 cookies)
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- 1 (12-ounce) carton 1% low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 (8-ounce) block 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup dark rum
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- To prepare crust, combine crumbs and egg white, tossing with a fork until moist. Press into bottom of an 8-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 5 minutes or until lightly browned; cool on a wire rack.
- To prepare filling, place cottage cheese in a food processor; process until smooth (about 2 minutes), scraping the sides of bowl once. Add cream cheese, and process until smooth. Add 2/3 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons cornstarch, vanilla, and egg; pulse just until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 325° for 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 300° (do not remove cheesecake from oven); bake an additional 20 minutes or until center of cheesecake barely moves when pan is touched. Remove cheesecake from oven; run a knife around outside edge. Cool to room temperature. Cover and chill at least 8 hours.
- To prepare syrup, combine dark rum and raisins in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave at high 2 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap; let stand 10 minutes.
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon water in a small saucepan over medium heat; cook, without stirring, 5 minutes or until golden. Combine 1 teaspoon cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water, stirring with a whisk. Stir rum mixture and cornstarch mixture into sugar mixture; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute. Serve syrup chilled or at room temperature with cheesecake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Vanilla Cheesecake with Rum Raisin Syrup Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This