Vanilla Cake with Caramel Icing
Cool: 40 Minutes
Let Stand : 2 Hours
- 3/4 cup(s) whole milk
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 2 cup(s) cake flour
- 1 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 cup(s) butter, cut into tablespoons at room temperature
- 1/2 cup(s) heavy cream
- 3 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoon(s) corn syrup
- 1 1/2 cup(s) whole milk
- 1 stick(s) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup(s) heavy cream
- 3/4 cup(s) white chocolate, shaved
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 8 inch cake pans.
- For the cake. In a bowl, mix 1/4 cup of the milk with the egg whites and vanilla extract. In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, mix the flour with the sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the butter and the remaining 3/4 cup of milk.
- Beat at low speed until blended, then beat at medium speed until smooth, 1 minute. Beat in the egg white mixture.
- In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the cream until soft peaks form. fold the whipped cream into batter.
- Divide the batter between the pans and smooth the tops.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean. Let the cakes cool on a rack for 10 minutes. Unmold the cakes and let cool completely.
- For the caramel frosting. In a saucepan, stir 2 1/2 cups of the sugar with the corn syrup and milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar in a deep, saucepan. Cook the sugar over moderate heat, swirling occasionally, until an amber caramel forms. Carefully pour the warm milk mixture over the caramel. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until the caramel dissolves. Stop stirring and cook until the caramel registers 235° on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the butter, vanilla and 1/4 cup of the heavy cream. Strain the caramel into the bowl of a standing mixer. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Beat the caramel at medium speed, gradually adding the remaining 1/4 cup of cream, until creamy, 10-15 minutes.
- To assemble, Set 1 cake layer on a plate. Pour icing over the layer to cover the top. Top with the other cake layer and cover it with icing. Let the cake stand for 2 hours to set the icing.
- Sprinkle with white chocolate shavings before serving.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note