There is obviously a mistake in the printing of this recipe. Tried it this morning and had the same problems as in the other reviews. The picture from the magazine looked wonderful. I have saved it for two years thinking I would make it. Today was the day and what a disaster! The 2 cups of cake flour in the topping is definitely a mistake!
Vanilla Buttermilk Crumb Cake
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Lydia DeGaris Pursell
Yield: Makes 1 (8-inch) cake or 9 servings
More From Coastal Living
Bake: 30 Minutes
- 3 1/2 cups cake flour, divided
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Powdered sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Stir together 2 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter in a bowl. Set aside.
- 2. Beat softened butter and remaining 1/2 cup sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, beating until blended.
- 3. Combine baking soda, salt, and remaining 1 1/2 cups flour; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition.
- 4. Spoon batter into a greased and floured 8-inch square cake pan, and sprinkle with reserved topping mixture.
- 5. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool; dust with powdered sugar, and cut into squares.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note