I had the exact same experience as the first two posters--the cake was way undercooked and crumb topping far too much. I, too, paused and re-read the receipe when I saw two cups of flour for the crumb topping. I'm surprised that someone at Coast Living has not made a correction to this obviously incorrect receipe.
Vanilla Buttermilk Crumb Cake
More From Coastal Living
Bake: 30 Minutes
- 3 1/2 cups cake flour, divided
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Powdered sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Stir together 2 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter in a bowl. Set aside.
- 2. Beat softened butter and remaining 1/2 cup sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, beating until blended.
- 3. Combine baking soda, salt, and remaining 1 1/2 cups flour; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition.
- 4. Spoon batter into a greased and floured 8-inch square cake pan, and sprinkle with reserved topping mixture.
- 5. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool; dust with powdered sugar, and cut into squares.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads