Vanilla Buttercream Sandwich Cookies
Prep and Cook Time: about 1 1/2 hours. Notes: To store these filled sandwich cookies, chill them airtight for up to 2 days.
Yield: Makes about 65 sandwich cookies
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 63
- Calories from fat: 56%
- Protein: 0.5g
- Fat: 3.9g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Carbohydrate: 6.7g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Sodium: 36mg
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (1/2 lb.) butter, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- About 1/2 cup sugar
- Vanilla buttercream filling (recipe below)
- 1. In a food processor or in a bowl with your fingers, whirl or rub flour and butter until mixture forms 1/4-inch lumps. Add cream and whirl or stir with a fork until dough holds together.
- 2. Pat dough into a ball, then divide in half. Flatten each portion into a 5-inch-wide disk. Wrap airtight and freeze until firm, about 15 minutes.
- 3. Sprinkle work surface with 6 tablespoons sugar. Dust rolling pin with 2 tablespoons sugar. Roll dough on sugar, a portion at a time, to 1/8 inch thick, turning over frequently and dusting with more sugar if needed to prevent sticking. Cut out cookies with a 1-inch-wide round cutter. Gather excess dough into a ball, reroll on more sugar, and cut out remaining cookies.
- 4. Place cookies 1/2 inch apart on buttered and floured or parchment-lined 12- by 15-inch baking sheets. Prick each round a few times with a fork.
- 5. Bake cookies in a 300° oven until golden, about 20 minutes; if baking more than one pan at a time, switch pan positions halfway through baking. With a wide spatula, immediately transfer to racks to cool completely.
- 6. Spread one side of half the cookies with vanilla buttercream filling. Top with remaining cookies.
- Vanilla buttercream filling. In a bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat 3 tablespoons butter (at room temperature) with 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in enough milk, about 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons, to make mixture smooth and thick enough to spread.
- Nutritional analysis is per sandwich cookie.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This