I used much less than a pound (1 1/2 - 2 c.) of powdered sugar, as I didn't see the point of adding the full amount and then thinning it back out with milk. The result is tasty, though much less than 3 cups and perhaps higher in fat (and lower in sugar) than it would have been had I followed the recipe exactly. We'll see how the consistency holds up over time. But I'll keep this recipe on-hand as I love cream cheese frosting.
Vanilla Buttercream (Basic Buttercream)
More From Southern Living
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (3-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (16-oz.) package powdered sugar
- 3 to 4 Tbsp. milk
- 1. Beat first 3 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- 2. Gradually add powdered sugar alternately with 3 Tbsp. milk, beating at low speed until blended and smooth after each addition.
- 3. If desired, beat in remaining 1 Tbsp. milk, 1 tsp. at a time, until desired consistency.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts