I can't wait to make this! It sounds delicious!
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Amy Burke
More From Southern Living
9 Hours, 20 Minutes
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste*
- 1. Whisk together first 3 ingredients in a large heavy saucepan. Gradually whisk in milk and cream. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 10 to 12 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat.
- 2. Whisk egg yolk until slightly thickened. Gradually whisk about 1 cup hot cream mixture into yolk. Add yolk mixture to remaining cream mixture, whisking constantly. Whisk in vanilla bean paste. Cool 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Place plastic wrap directly on cream mixture, and chill 8 to 24 hours.
- 4. Pour mixture into freezer container of a 1 1/2-qt. electric ice-cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. (Instructions and time may vary.)
- *Vanilla extract may be substituted.
- Try these twists!
- Chocolate-Raspberry Ice Cream: Before transferring ice cream to a container for further freezing, stir in 4 oz. finely chopped semisweet chocolate, and gently fold in 1/4 cup melted seedless raspberry preserves.
- Coconut Cream Pie Ice Cream: Reduce milk to 1 cup. Stir 1 cup coconut milk into sugar mixture with milk. Before transferring ice cream to a container for further freezing, stir in 3/4 cup toasted, sweetened flaked coconut.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts