Vanilla Bean Cream
Notes: This rich, smooth sauce can be made up to 2 days ahead and kept covered and chilled. Our favorite liqueurs for this recipe include Kahlúa, Frangelico, and Drambuie.
This recipe goes with Flourless Chocolate Soufflés
More From Sunset
- Calories: 24
- Calories from fat: 41%
- Protein: 0.8g
- Fat: 1.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrate: 2.5g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Sodium: 8.4mg
- Cholesterol: 29mg
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- About 2 tbsp. brandy or liqueur (optional; see Notes)
- 1. With a sharp paring knife, cut vanilla bean in half lengthwise. With the tip of a sharp knife, scrape out vanilla seeds into a small saucepan.
- 2. Add bean halves and milk to saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat and let mixture sit 15 minutes. Discard vanilla bean halves.
- 3. Whisk egg yolks, sugar, and cornstarch into milk and bring to a boil over high heat, whisking constantly, until mixture boils and thickens slightly, about 3 minutes. Immediately pour mixture into a bowl and let cool, stirring occasionally, to room temperature. For extra fun, try adding up to 2 tbsp. brandy or liqueur to the bowl as cream cools.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per tablespoon.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note