I have made this several times and my family loves it. I do too. I get requests to make it from my nieces and nephews as well. We are not Italian but love a good lasagna... so to us, this is a very good - fairly easy recipe to make.
Vanessa's Make-Ahead Beefy Lasagna
Photo: Beth Dreiling Hontzas; Styling: Missie Neville Crawford
More From Southern Living
1 Hour, 35 Minutes
- 12 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1 (24-oz.) container 4% small-curd smooth-and-creamy cottage cheese
- 1 (16-oz.) container ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup refrigerated pesto
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups (10 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 (24-oz.) jars tomato-and-basil pasta sauce
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Prepare noodles according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, stir together cottage cheese and next 4 ingredients. Stir in 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
- 3. Cook ground beef and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 6 to 7 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink; drain. Stir in pasta sauce.
- 4. Layer 1 cup beef mixture, 3 noodles, and 2 1/2 cups cottage cheese mixture in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Top with 3 noodles, 2 cups beef mixture, and 3 more noodles. Top with remaining cottage cheese mixture, 3 noodles, and beef mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese.
- 5. Bake, covered, at 375° for 40 to 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 minutes or until cheese is browned. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- Note: Freeze unbaked lasagna up to 3 months. To bake, thaw in refrigerator 24 hours. Let stand 30 minutes; bake as directed. We tested with Classico Di Napoli Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce and both LeGrand Garden Pesto and Buitoni Reduced Fat Pesto with Basil.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles