Great for a quick and easy weeknight dessert. I did it without the sauce, and it turned out really well. Not a fancy occasion recipe, but really good basic to have in one's repertoire. Instructions were clear and easy to follow.
Val's Bread Pudding
This bread pudding recipe, from an old Amish cookbook, is absolutely incredible. It was copied, loaned out, scribbled on note cards and passed on by grandmothers, great-aunts, beloved neighbor ladies and those whose home cooking reaches the very soul of the family. This is the bread pudding people get dreamy-eyed over. For a lot of us, it's nostalgia. A yearning for a simpler time when dessert was made from a few common kitchen ingredients. It's also the way it brings everyone into the kitchen, warm with the smell of cinnamon and vanilla fresh from the oven. Whatever the reason this bread pudding becomes your number one comfort food; savor every bite. It is truly the soul satisfying treat that most people crave. Nothing beats warm bread pudding on a cold or rainy night.
Sauce: 15 Minutes
- 2 cups whole milk (or 2 cups half & half)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar (light or dark, depending on taste preference)
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups bread, torn into small pieces (french bread works best)
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1. In medium saucepan, over medium heat, heat milk (or half & half) just until film forms over top. Combine butter and milk, stirring until butter is melted. Cool to lukewarm.
- 2. Combine sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed for 1 minute. Slowly add milk mixture.
- 3. Place bread in a lightly greased 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- 4. Sprinkle with raisins if desired. Pour batter on top of bread.
- 5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes or until set. Serve warm.
- If you make the sauce to put on top of your bread pudding, adjust the sugar in the bread pudding recipe, change it to 1/3 cups sugar (the sauce has the other 1/3 cup in it).
- Bread Sauce
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- dash of salt
- Mix everything together and bring to a boil for 3 - 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Set aside for 5 minutes, then pour on warm bread pudding.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Dansana and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Val's Bread Pudding Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts