Upside-Down Pizza Casserole
- 2 (16-ounce) packages JIMMY DEAN Pork Sausage
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper (optional)
- 2 teaspoons dried basil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds (optional)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (26-ounce) jar tomato-and-basil sauce
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 (10-ounce) can refrigerated pizza crust
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Cook sausage, onions, and, if desired, bell pepper, 2 teaspoons basil, and fennel seeds in a large skillet over medium-high heat about 10 minutes, stirring until sausage crumbles and is no longer pink and onions are tender. Drain.
- Add flour, stirring until blended. Stir in tomato-and-basil sauce. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle mixture with 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese.
- Unroll pizza crust, and place on top of sausage mixture. (Tuck edges into baking dish, if necessary.) Brush with olive oil, and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, and 1 teaspoon basil.
- Bake at 425° for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note