I also did a "modified" version of this southern breakfast classic...I eliminated the veggies (didn't fit my breakfast menu), I kept the broth, butter, sage, half-and-half, and best of all the sherry! It definitely was a step up from my traditional sausage gravy and I will make this again!!
Up-a-Notch Sausage and Gravy
More From Southern Living
Total: 30 Minutes
- 1/2 (1-lb.) package mild ground pork sausage
- Butter (optional)
- 1 (4-oz.) package fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or white wine
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1. Cook sausage in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 3 to 5 minutes or until sausage crumbles and is no longer pink; drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings in skillet. (If necessary, add melted butter to drippings to equal 1/4 cup.)
- 2. Sauté mushrooms and shallots in hot drippings over medium-high heat 4 to 5 minutes or until golden. Whisk flour into mushroom mixture, and cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, 1 minute or until lightly browned. Add chicken broth and sherry, and cook 2 minutes, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet. Stir in sausage.
- 3. Gradually add half-and-half, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in parsley and next 4 ingredients. Reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch