Added crab sauteed in tabasco. Served with broccoli, tasted delicious!
Ultimate Mac 'n' Cheese
Why "ultimate" mac n' cheese? Because the sauce in this recipe is creamy, not grainy; it's flavored with shallots, gruyère, and white wine, like fondue; and it's topped with crunchy sourdough bread crumbs.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 586
- Calories from fat: 49%
- Protein: 21g
- Fat: 32g
- Saturated fat: 19g
- Carbohydrate: 44g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Sodium: 739mg
- Cholesterol: 107mg
- 8 ounces cavatappi, macaroni, or other tube-shaped pasta
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more for cooking pasta
- 3 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups dry white wine
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 7 ounces gruyÃ¨re, grated
- 3 ounces aged gouda, grated (see Notes)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 tsp. minced fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 4 ounces crusty sourdough bread (about 1/4 loaf), torn into large pieces
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Cook pasta according to package directions in a large pot of boiling, well-salted water until tender to the bite, 7 to 12 minutes. Drain, but do not rinse.
- 2. In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, melt 2 tbsp. butter. Add shallots and cook until light golden, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle shallot-butter mixture with flour; cook, stirring often, 1 minute. Add wine and stir, picking up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add cream and stir well. Sprinkle in cheeses, one large handful at a time, stirring until each handful is mostly melted before adding the next. Stir in 2 tbsp. chives, mustard, 1/4 tsp. salt, cayenne, and nutmeg. Stir cooked pasta into cheese mixture, then pour all into a 2-qt. baking dish.
- 3. In a food processor, pulse bread with remaining 1 1/2 tbsp. butter, 1 tsp. chives, and 1/4 tsp. salt until coarse bread crumbs form. Sprinkle bread crumbs over pasta and cheese and bake until top is browned and cheese is bubbling, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
You can substitute romano, goat gouda, or more gruyère for the aged gouda.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note