- CRISPY CHICK-WICH
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 2 1/4 lbs)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 (2-ounce) potato sandwich buns, lightly toasted
- 1 1/2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- QUICK PICKLES
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced English cucumber
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- GARLICKY HERB MAYO
- 1 cup prepared mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
How to Make It
To prepare pickles, place cucumbers in a wide shallow bowl. Combine water, vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, and salt in a small saucepan over high heat; bring mixture to a boil. Remove from heat; carefully pour vinegar mixture over pickles. Let stand until ready to assemble sandwiches.
To prepare mayo, combine mayonnaise and next 7 ingredients (through garlic) in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Refrigerate until ready to assemble sandwiches.
To prepare sandwiches, sprinkle chicken thighs evenly with salt, pepper, and onion powder. Combine buttermilk and egg in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add chicken to bowl; toss to coat.
Pour oil to a depth of 1 inch in a large cast-iron skillet; heat oil to 325 °. Place flour in a shallow dish; dredge chicken thighs in flour, shaking off excess. Carefully add 4 chicken thighs to oil; cook 5 to 6 minutes on each side or until golden brown and done. Drain on a wire rack set over paper towels; keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken thighs.
To assemble sandwiches, drain pickles well; discard pickling liquid. Spread mayo evenly over bottom halves of buns; top evenly with pickles, lettuce, chicken thighs, and top halves of buns. Serve immediately.