Why would want anybody destroy the fine taste and texture with ANY Bell pepper is beyond me. I would NEVER add raw Bell peppers or onion for that matter to a crab or any seafood ! It destroys the taste of the whole dish! Chef Simonis
Time: 40 minutes. Frederick Basgal of Menlo Park, California, a stellar home cook, shares with us his extravagant recipe for crabcakes loaded with seafood, plus bright chives and a tiny dice of bell peppers. His inspiration? A crabcake recipe in Hubert Keller's The Cuisine of Hubert Keller (Ten Speed Press, 1996) for binding the crab with a creamy scallop purée rather than bread crumbs.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 168
- Calories from fat: 49%
- Protein: 19g
- Fat: 9.2g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Carbohydrate: 1g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Sodium: 357mg
- Cholesterol: 113mg
- 4 ounces sea scallops
- 2 tablespoons lightly beaten egg
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 pound (3 cups) shelled cooked crab
- 2 tablespoons diced (1/4 in.) red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons diced (1/4 in.) yellow bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped chives, divided
- 2 teaspoons green hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Devil Sauce
- 1. In a food processor, pulse scallops and egg just until scallops are chopped. With motor running, pour in cream and whirl until smooth.
- 2. Scrape scallop mixture into a bowl. Stir in crab, bell peppers, cilantro, 2 tbsp. chives, the hot sauce, salt, and cayenne, breaking up most large chunks of crab.
- 3. Lay an 18-in. sheet of parchment paper on a work surface. Scoop 6 equal mounds of crab mixture onto parchment. Shape each into an even cake about 1 1/4 in. thick, using your fingers or, for neater sides, a 2 1/2-in.-diameter ring mold.
- 4. Pour olive oil into a 12-in. nonstick frying pan and heat over medium-low heat. Using a thin, flexible spatula, carefully transfer cakes to pan. Cook, turning once, until nicely browned and no longer wet in center, about 10 minutes total. Divide crabcakes among 6 warm plates, scatter with remaining 1 tbsp. chives, and serve with Devil Sauce.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving, without sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note