Wild mushroom soup
Community Recipe from
- 2 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- Wild Mushroom Soup
- January 19th, 2013 | Recipes
- We have turned our Friday nights into super soup night, and I have been trying to chose a healthy recipe that is non cream based. Since mushrooms are a favorite at our house I discovered this recipe with little ingredients and much flavor (a little sherry goes a long way). I used fresh portabella, crimini and shitake mushrooms that I purchased at our local farmers market. Enjoy it with some crusty bread (whole grain if possible) as a full meal. Keep healthy and fit by eating a bowl of tasty soup!
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter (I used salted butter about 1 1/2 Tbs.)
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into medium dice (to yield about 1-1/2 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 lb. fresh wild mushrooms, wiped clean, trimmed (stems removed from shiitakes), and thinly sliced (to yield about 4-1/2 cups)
- 2 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (I used sea salt)
- 4 cups homemade or low-salt chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup half-and-half (I used fat-free milk)
- 3 Tbs. dry sherry
- 1 Tbs. soy sauce (I used low sodium)
- Melt the butter and olive oil in a 5-qt. or larger stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until it’s beginning to brown (resist the urge to stir too often), about 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms, 2 Tbs. of the thyme, and 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper; cook until the mushrooms become limp, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add the broth, scraping up any browned bits in the pot with a wooden spoon. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to maintain a simmer,
- and cook until the mushrooms are tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Transfer about half of the soup to a stand blender and process until smooth. Return the mixture to the pot and stir in the half-and-half, sherry, and soy sauce. Add more salt and pepper to taste, if needed, and reheat. Garnish each serving with a small pinch of the remaining 1 tsp. thyme.
- nutrition information (per serving):
- Size : based on six servings; Calories (kcal): 160; Fat (g): 11; Fat Calories (kcal): 90; Saturated Fat (g): 4; Protein (g): 5; Monounsaturated Fat (g): 5; Carbohydrates (g): 14; Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 1; Sodium (mg): 370; Cholesterol (mg): 15; Fiber (g): 2;
This recipe is a personal recipe added by lynnjr and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Wild mushroom soup Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews