Warm Kale & Quinoa Salad
Diners linger for hours over the Colombian-, Mexican- and Brazilian-influenced food from husband-and-wife team Felipe Donnelly and Tamy Rofe, who opened Cómodo after hosting weekly dinner parties in their own Tribeca kitchen and, later, pop-up meals. One dish you’ll want to savor is chef de cuisine Carolina Santos-Neves’ riveting warm kale and quinoa salad. To achieve the right balance of flavors, Santos-Neves riffed on two salads she loves: a wilted spinach salad and a warm mushroom-hazelnut combination. Meaty cremini mushrooms and barely melted feta give the new salad an earthy bent, and a reduced balsamic dressing, sautéed shallots and chewy dried blueberries add unexpected texture and sweetness. And, of course, the of-the-moment ingredients kale and quinoa transform the dish into a hearty stand-alone vegetarian side or topping the salad with a piece of flaky fish, such as arctic char, to transform it into a healthful main. . . Recipe adapted from Carolina Santos-Neves, Cómodo, NYC on tastingtable.com
Yield: 2 servings
Community Recipe from
- Kale & Quinoa
- 1/4 cup red or white quinoa
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup plus 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups stemmed and roughly torn green kale (such as curly or dinosaur kale)
- 2 T plus 1 t extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 T dried blueberries or cranberries
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
- 3/4 t kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 t freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 T crumbled Greek feta
- In a fine mesh sieve, add the quinoa and rinse under running water for 2 mins. Add the rinsed quinoa to a medium saucepan; pour in the water; bring to a boil; lower the heat; cover the pan and simmer for 15 mins. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside, covered, for 5 mins. Use a fork to fluff the quinoa and set aside.
- In a small saucepan set over high heat, add 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until thick and reduced by half, 2-4 mins. Once the vinegar looks slightly runnier than honey, remove it from the heat (it will continue to thicken as it cools; stir in a drop of water if it is too thick to drizzle).
- In a large bowl, add the kale and drizzle with 1 t olive oil. Use your hands to massage the oil into the kale for 1 min. Mix in the dried blueberries.
- In a large skillet set over high heat, add 1 T olive oil and heat until the oil is shimmering, 1-2 mins. Add the shallot and cook, stirring frequently, until browned, about 3 mins. Add the mushrooms and the remaining 1 T balsamic vinegar and season with 1/2 t salt and 1/4 t pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are browned, about 5 mins. Add the cooked quinoa and the feta and heat, stirring frequently, until the feta melts slightly, about 3 mins.
- Add the mushroom mixture to the kale and toss to combine. Drizzle in the reduced balsamic vinegar and the remaining 1 T olive oil and toss to coat. Season with the remaining salt and pepper and serve.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by NanaElaine and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Warm Kale & Quinoa Salad Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Salads