Very portable and great summer potluck option. Drained cubed watermelon before adding to tomatoes and cucumbers to alleviate sogginess. Other reviews recommend cilantro or tarragon for herbs. Was awesome next day as gazpacho!
Tomato and Watermelon Salad
Community Recipe from
- 1 container(s) yellow cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 container(s) red grape tomatoes (8oz) halved
- 1 English cucumber seeded, 1/2 peeled, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 small seedless watermelon cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoon(s) mixed fresh herbs: basil, (tarragon), mint, parsley minced
- 1/3 cup(s) extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoon(s) fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoon(s) rice vinegar add to taste
- dash(es) kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine fruit and veggies together, though if not serving right away, combine only the tomatoes and cucumber and keep watermelon separate and chilled until ready to serve. Put oil, lemon juice and vinegar to taste in jar with herbs. Shake until combined. Taste to adjust acid/oil and season with salt and pepper. When ready to serve toss all ingredients together.
- Suggestion to add avocado cubes to salad
- If have leftovers and want to reinvent for a different take on gazpacho, combine leftovers (not sure if avocado would do well) add parsley and jalapeno or serrano pepper in blender and whirl to desired consistency... Yum!
- Riff on the salad by Gerald Hirigoyen with Lisa Weiss in book: Pintxos: Small Plates in the Basque Tradition. See link: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Tomato-and-Watermelon-Salad-352389#ixzz1zh5U4zY0
This recipe is a personal recipe added by jgcookin and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note