Standing Rib Roast
Community Recipe from
- For the roast, combine:
- 1/2 cup(s) country dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 1 teaspoon(s) coriander ground
- 1 teaspoon(s) cinnamon ground
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) allspice ground
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cumin ground
- 11 pound(s) beef rib roast, 4 bone in/chine bone removed frenched
- For the sauce, heat:
- 3 cup(s) dry red wine divided
- 3 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter divided
- 1/4 cup(s) shallots minced
- 1 tablespoon(s) tomato paste
- 1 sprig(s) fresh thyme
- Whisk in:
- 1 tablespoon(s) demi-glace purchased
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) sugar
- Preheat over to 450 with rack in lower third
- For the roast, combine mustard, garlic, 2 tsp salt, 2 tsp pepper, coriander, cinnamon, allspice, cumin, and cloves in a small bowl. Place roast in a shallow roasting pan, bone side down.
- Roast the rib roast 30 min, remove from oven, and spread all but 1 Tbsp mustard mixture over the top. Reduce over temp to 325, return roast to over, and continue roasting until instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 125 for medium-rare or 2 - 2 1/2 hours. Transfer roast to a carving board, tent with foil, and let rest 30 min. Pour drippings into a dish; set aside.
- For the sauce, heat roasting pan over medium-high until brown bits dry (1 min). Deglaze pan with 1/2 cup wine, scraping up bits; transfer to a separate bowl.
- Melt 1 Tbsp butter in a sauce-pan over medium heat until foamy. Add shallots; sweat until soft. Add deglazed bits and tomato paste; cook until thick (4-5 min). Whisk in reserved 1 Tbsp mustard mixture, remaining 2 1/2 cups wine, and thyme; bring to a boil over high heat and reduce to 1 cup strained (about 15 min). Return sauce to sauce-pan over medium heat and discard solids.
- Whisk in demi-glace and sugar; simmer until demi-glace dissolves. Off heat, whisk in the remaining 2 Tbsp butter, then season with salt and pepper.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by davidblake51 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note