Spicy Chicken Salad with Homemade Ranch Dressing
"Bringing the heat with spices, peppers" by Michael Hastings. Zane Willard, a 6'4'' tall eighth-grader at Southeast Middle School in Kernersville, won third place in the Spicy Chicken Contest at the Dixie Classic Fair. Recipe published in the Winston-Salem Journal: October 12, 2011.
- For the ranch dressing:
- 2 clove(s) garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 cup(s) Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoon(s) fresh chives, chopped
- 1 cup(s) mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup(s) sour cream
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh oregano,chopped
- Buttermilk, as needed
- For the salad:
- Baby spinach
- 2 tablespoon(s) paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) onion powder
- 5 to 7 chicken tenderloins
- Olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large orange bell pepper
- 1 large yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon(s) chopped chives
- Chopped parsley (optional)
- Croutons (optional)
- 1. For the dressing, dice garlic, then mash to a fine paste. Sprinkle garlic with salt; add parsley and chives. In a separate bowl, combine mayo and sour cream. Add garlic mixture, dill and oregano. Add just enough buttermilk as needed to reach desired dressing consistency.
- 2. For the salad, place a layer of spinach in a serving dish. Combine paprika, black pepper, cayenne, salt, garlic powder and onion powder. Coat chicken tenderloins in oil, then roll them in the paprika mixture. Place chicken in a heated grill pan and cook until done. Turn and watch carefully to avoid burning.
- 3. Dice red, orange, and yellow peppers and place in a bowl. Throw in a splash of olive oil and the chives. If desired, add a bit of chopped parsley. Sprinkle pepper mixture over spinach. Lay chicken tenderloins on top, and drizzle with some of the ranch dressing. If desired, add a few croutons.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note