Simple and Delicious Peanut Tofu with Fresh Vegetables
Crisp, fresh vegetables and tofu browned in peanut oil give this dish fresh flavor and a crunchy, chewy texture. The peanut sauce ties the ingredients together with a blast of savory goodness. This is a healthy, flavorful, and vegan dish even your favorite carnivores will love. Enjoy! *NOTE: I created this after getting this peanut sauce recipe from a friend, so vegetable and herb measurements are approximate and to taste.
Press Tofu: 20 Minutes
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon(s) coarsely chopped onion
- 3 cup(s) cooked white or brown rice
- 1/2 cup(s) creamy peanut butter
- 1 block(s) extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh mint, chopped (optional)
- 1 large clove(s) garlic
- 1 large red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 large tomato, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoon(s) light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) molasses
- 3 tablespoon(s) peanut oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon(s) plus 1 teaspoon, fresh lime juice
- 1 whole(s) red or green jalapeno chile, seeded
- 1/4-1/2 cup(s) roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 1/2 tablespoon(s) soy sauce
- Sriracha Hot Sauce (optional)
- 1/4 cup(s) water
- Slice tofu crosswise into 8 "steaks" (about 1/2 inch thick). Place tofu between several layers of paper towels and press to remove moisture, approximately 20 minutes. (A great way to do this is to place a cutting board over the top layer of paper towels and weigh it down with several canned goods).
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the peanut oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add tofu steaks and cook until golden brown on both sides (approximately 6-8 minutes per side). Add more oil if necessary. Remove tofu from pan and cut into bite-sized pieces when cool enough to handle.
- While tofu is browning, place onion, garlic, chile, remaining 1 tablespoon of peanut oil, soy sauce, and lime juice in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth, then transfer to a mixing bowl and whisk in brown sugar and next four ingredients until combined.
- Wipe skillet with paper towels to remove any remaining oil. Return tofu pieces to pan with peanut sauce and heat over low heat until warm.
- To Serve: Pour peanut sauce with tofu over rice and top with vegetables, nuts, and herbs to taste. Serve with Sriracha hot sauce for those that like it spicy.
- **NOTE: This recipe is mild spice. For medium spice, leave half of seeds in jalapeno. For spicy version, leave all seeds in jalapeno.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by homecookin4me and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note