Roasted Vegetable Soup
Community Recipe from
- 1 pinch(s) see prep see prep
- Yield:3 to 4 servings .Level:Easy. .
- Print Recipe.
- Full-Page View.
- Save to My Recipe Box.
- Review Recipe.
- Share It!.
- 3 to 4 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade, recipe follows
- 1 quart Roasted Winter Vegetables, recipe follows
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat 3 cups of chicken stock. In 2 batches, coarsely puree the roasted vegetables and the chicken stock in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Pour the soup back into the pot and season, to taste. Thin with more chicken stock and reheat. The soup should be thick but not like a vegetable puree, so add more chicken stock and/or water until it's the consistency you like.
- Chicken Stock:
- 3 (5-pound) roasting chickens
- 3 large yellow onions, unpeeled, quartered
- 6 carrots, unpeeled, halved
- 4 celery stalks with leaves, cut in thirds
- 4 parsnips, unpeeled, cut in 1/2, optional
- 20 sprigs fresh parsley
- 15 sprigs fresh thyme
- 20 sprigs fresh dill
- 1 head garlic, unpeeled, cut in 1/2 crosswise
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- Place the chickens, onions, carrots, celery, parsnips, parsley, thyme, dill, garlic, and seasonings in a 16 to 20-quart stockpot. Add 7 quarts of water and bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered for 4 hours. Strain the entire contents of the pot through a colander and discard the solids. Chill the stock overnight. The next day, remove the surface fat. Use immediately or pack in containers and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Yield: 6 quarts
- Roasted Winter Vegetables:
- 1 pound carrots, peeled
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled
- 1 small butternut squash (about 2 pounds), peeled and seeded
- 3 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cut the carrots, parsnips, sweet potato, and butternut squash in 1- to 1 1/4-inch cubes. All the vegetables will shrink while baking, so don't cut them too small.
- Place all the cut vegetables in a single layer on 2 sheet pans. Drizzle them with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss well. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until all the vegetables are tender, turning once with a metal spatula.
- Sprinkle with parsley, season to taste, and serve hot.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by cerubino and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Roasted Vegetable Soup Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews