Community Recipe from
- pickling cucumbers
- 3 medium onions sliced
- 4 cup(s) sugar
- 4 cup(s) vinegar
- 1/2 cup(s) pickling salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) celery seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) mustard seed
- Slice enough cucumbers to fill a gallon jar along with the onion. Stir together sugar vinegar, salt, tumeric, celery seed and mustard seed: continues stirring until sugar and salt dissolves. Pour over cucumbers and onions. Cover and put in the refrigerator, They will be ready to eat in 5 days.
- NOTE: Some people use only a 1/3 cup salt in this recipe.
- The secret in this recipe is to use the large flowering dill, feathery dill will not do. The other ingredients can be varied according to personal taste. If you prefer a very crisp pickle, open the jar a day or two after canning, as the cucumbers will soften with longer storage.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Linwaite and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Refrigerator Pickles Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Side Dishes/Vegetables