The flavor here is great. Totally a make again recipe. One technical problem is there is no amount for the tomato paste. I guessed tablespoon which I think was right. Brown rice is a challenge for me. I used a oven technique because I am more familiar with it but needed to use less liquid. I am also not certain about why soaking the rice is needed. I did do about 4 hours of soaking and it softened the rice but I'm just not sure what the point is. I also don't like cauliflower but in this dish it was really good. The only problem I had was the cooking time when uncovered seemed too short and left the cauliflower uncooked. When I covered and added time there was not enough liquid for my liking leftover. But I think the things wrong with this recipe have more to do with me and figuring out how to cook this right than the recipe. The flavor was great and it made me eat cauliflower and like it.
Red Lentil Spinach Curry with Spiced Rice
- 1 1/2 cup(s) red lentils uncooked
- 3 cup(s) water (for cooking lentils)
- 2 cup(s) chopped fresh spinach
- 3 cup(s) cauliflower in small florets
- 3 tablespoon(s) ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 tablespoon(s) garam masala
- 3 tomato paste
- 1 white onion finely chopped
- 2 clove(s) fresh garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh ginger minced
- 1 1/2 cup(s) brown basmati rice uncooked
- 1 tablespoon(s) coconut oil
- 3 cup(s) water (for cooking rice)
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cloves
- 1 tablespoon(s) cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) sea salt
- For curry:
- In a saucepan, place ghee, onion, garlic and ginger and sautee until onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Add curry powder and mix until you can smell the spices, about a minute. Add lentils and water, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add cauliflower, and simmer for 5-7 more minutes. Then add tomato paste, spinach and salt and pepper to taste. Serve over spiced rice.
- For Spiced Rice:
- Soak rice in water overnight or for 8 hrs. Heat oil and spices and cook until fragrant. Add rice and stir for 2 minutes, then add water, bring to a boil and simmer for 35-40 minutes stirring once or twice when water is almost absorbed.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by MissLisaBG and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note