Community Recipe from
- 2 cup(s) unbleached, all purpose floor
- 1/2 cup(s) whole wheat flour
- 1 cup(s) dark brown sugar lightly packed
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) kosher or coarse sea salt
- 7 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter cut into 1 inch cubes and frozen
- 1/3 cup(s) mild-flavored honey, such as clover
- 5 tablespoon(s) milk (whole milk is best)
- 2 tablespoon(s) pure vanilla extract
- Praline topping
- 1 cup(s) butter (salted)
- 1 1/2 cup(s) light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup(s) pecans lightly chopped
- 1 teaspoon(s) pure vanilla extract
- Optional graham cracker topping
- 3 tablespoon(s) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- Make the dough: Combine flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt in food processor with steel blad or electric mixer with paddle attachment. Pulse or mix on low to incorporate. Add butter and pulse on and off, on and off, or mix on low, untiil mixture is consistency of coarse meal. (Or you can cut by hand together with pastry blender. Be sure to incorporate well.)
- In a small bowl, mix together honey, milk, and vanilla extract. Add to flour mixture and pulse on and off a few times or mix on low until dough barely comes together. It will be very soft and sticky.
- Lay out large piece of plastic wrap and dust lightly with flour, turn dough onto it, and pat into 1 inch thick rectangle. Wrap it, and chill until firm -- 2 hours or overnight. Prepare cinnamon and sugar topping, if desired.
- Roll out crackers: Divide dough in half and return one half to refrigerator. Flour board very well, and sprinkle flour on top of dough. Roll it out about 1/8 inch thick, and trim edges. Transfer to jelly roll pan or cookie sheet with sides that has been lined with parchment paper. Roll out remainder of dough. Add additional rectangles, joining edges, until pan is filled. (or, if you prefer, you can cut dough into squares or rectangles and place on cookie sheet lined with parchment. Leave space between each cracker if you do this.. (Note: The dough is really VERY sticky, so be generous in using flour on the board and on top of the dough. You can dust extra flour off with a brush if necessary.)
- If you want to use the sugar and cinnamon, sprinkle it on top of the cookies or cookie base, and then place the sheets in the refrigerator or freezer and chill until firm. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake from 15 to 25 minutes, depending on your oven. They should be browned and slightly firm to the touch. Rotate sheets in oven so they will bake evenly. You want them crisp, but not burned, so watch closely! Cool crackers or base.
- Raise oven temperature to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare praline topping: Bring sugar and butter to boil, cook 3 minutes, remove from heat, and add vanilla and pecans. If you are using the uncut base, spoon onto base. If you cut crackers and baked separately, place them edge to edge on parchment on cookie sheet. Then put topping on. Bake for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove. If using uncut base, cut into 48 two inch squares, or 24 rectangles. Remove to cooling rack. If you used individual crackers, remove to cooling rack. These cookies can be layered with parchment and frozen in tight plastic containers. They also shipped successfully cross country using 3 day shipping.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by SharonToji and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Praline Bars Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Cookies