Potato, Celeriac, and Apple Au Gratin
- 1/4 cup(s) All Purpose Flower
- 4 tablespoon(s) Butter
- 4 teaspoon(s) Dijon Mustard
- 3 green apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 Large celeriac root, peeled quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 Large russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- salt and white pepper to taste
- 2 cup(s) Shredded Cheddar Cheese, divided
- 2 cup(s) Shredded Montery Cheese, Divided
- 4 cup(s) Whole Milk
- 1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes. A little at a time, whisk in the milk. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the mustard.
- 2. Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the Monterey Jack cheese and 1 1/2 cups of the cheddar cheese, stirring until melted. Season the sauce with salt and white pepper.
- 3. Fill a second large saucepan with the potatoes, then add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove the potatoes from the water and transfer to a plate. Add the celeriac slices to the water and cook for 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove the celeriac from the water and transfer to a plate
- 4. Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 5. In a large casserole dish, arrange an even layer of potato slices over the bottom. Top the potatoes with several spoons of cheese sauce. Add a layer of celeriac, followed by a few spoons of cheese sauce. Finally add a layer of apples, followed by a bit more cheese sauce.
- 6. Continue this layering until all the ingredients are used, ending with a final layer of cheese sauce. Top this with the remaining Monterey Jack and cheddar cheeses. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the potatoes and celeriac are tender and cooked through when pierced with a knife. If the cheese on top begins to brown too much, cover the casserole with foil.
- 7. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by JacobEvert and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Potato, Celeriac, and Apple Au Gratin Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Side Dishes/Vegetables