Pot Roast Braised in Red Wine
Community Recipe from
- 1 (2 1/2 - 3) rump roast
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 4 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk(s) celery, finely chopped
- 6 clove(s) garlic, thickly sliced
- 16 ounce(s) red wine
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup(s) pancetta or bacon
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoon(s) tomato paste
- 3 cup(s) beef broth
- 1. Season the meat with the salt and pepper. Heat 1½ tablespoons of the
- oil in a large Dutch oven set on medium-high heat until sizzling, about 2
- minutes. Brown the meat on both sides in the hot oil, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the meat to bowl and set aside.
- 2. Add the remaining olive oil to the pan and heat on medium-high heat
- until sizzling, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic, red pepper flakes and
- pancetta and cook for 1 minute. Add the onion, carrot and celery along
- with the bay leaves, thyme, rosemary and parsley. Cook for 3-4
- minutes, until almost dry. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1-2
- 3. Pour in the wine and beef stock and bring to a boil, stirring to dislodge
- any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Return the cooked meat
- and any accumulated juices to the pan, reduce the heat and simmer,
- covered, for 3-4 hours. Transfer the meat to a cutting board to rest,
- covering it with a tent of foil to keep warm.
- 4. While the meat is resting, bring the cooking liquid to a boil and cook,
- stirring frequently, until reduced by half, about 30-40 minutes. To make
- a smooth sauce, puree the vegetables and liquid in the pan with a hand
- held blender.
- 5. To serve, arrange the meat slices on a serving platter with the sauce
- served on the side.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by robinarroyave and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note