Cook’s Tip: If you want to prepare the polenta a few hours in advance, but still serve it soft, place the covered saucepan into a larger pan with 1 inch of simmering water in the bottom and stir occasionally. If it is a little too firm at serving time, vigorously stir in a bit of vegetable broth.
Yield: 4 servings
Community Recipe from
- 4 cup(s) water
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 cup(s) cornmeal or imported polenta
- 4 tablespoon(s) Parmigiano Reggiano cheese grated (optional)
- Bring the water and salt to a boil in a 3- 4-quart saucepan. Slowly stir in the cornmeal with a whisk to avoid lumps. Once the cornmeal has all been whisked in, begin stirring with a long-handled wooden spoon. Turn the heat down to medium and stir continuously for 30-40 minutes until the polenta is thick and comes away from the sides of the pan. Stir in cheese if using. Serve immediately.
- For Grilled Polenta:
- Cook 1 recipe of polenta as directed above, spread in a greased 9x9-inch baking pan and set aside for at least 30 minutes, until firm. Cut the polenta into 4 squares, then cut each square in half, from corner to corner, to make 2 triangles. Brush both sides of the cut polenta with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Brush a little olive oil on the hot grill, as well. Grill each side for 4-5 minutes, 4-6 inches above medium-hot coals, until grill marks show and the polenta begins to brown.
- For Broiled Polenta:
- Place the polenta that has been brushed with 2 tablespoons of olive oil on a baking sheet. Position the broiler rack 4-6 inches from the heat source. Broil for 7-10 minutes, until lightly browned.
- For Sauteed Polenta:
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large saute pan set on high heat until sizzling, about 2 minutes. Place the triangles of polenta in the pan and cook for about 5 minutes on both sides, until golden brown.
- For Cheesy Polenta Triangles:
- Cook 1 recipe of polenta as directed above, spread it in a greased 9- x 9-inch baking pan and set aside for at least 30 minutes until firm. Sprinkle the top with 4 tablespoons of grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. Place under the broiler for 7-10 minutes, until the cheese is melted and lightly browned. Cut into 4 squares and then cut each square in half to make 2 triangles. Serve 2 triangles per person.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by robinarroyave and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note