My Grandma's Thunder Cake
Community Recipe from
- 1 cup(s) shortening
- 1 3/4 cup(s) sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup(s) cold water
- 1/3 cup(s) pureed tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cup(s) cake flour
- 1/2 cup(s) dry cocoa
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- Cream together the shortening, sugar and vanilla.
- Separate yolks and whites of eggs: beat yolks into cream mixture. Beat whites until stiff and fold in.
- Add water and tomatoes.
- Sift together the cake flour, dry cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix dry ingredients into creamy mixture.
- Bake in 2 greased and floured 8 1/2 " round pans at 350 for 35-40 minutes.
- Frost with chocolate butter frosting and top with strawberries.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by MTN326 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
My Grandma's Thunder Cake Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Cakes/Frostings