Mashed Cauliflower Gratin
Community Recipe from
- 1 head(s) medium cauliflower chopped or cut into florets
- This recipe is essentially my mashed cauliflower, with the addition of eggs, cheese, and a little nutmeg, baked in a casserole or gratin dish. If you add an extra egg, it becomes more custard-like, and puffs a bit more. This can be made ahead and baked before serving. If it's cold, it will take 15-20 extra minutes to bake.
- Yield: 10 servings
- 1 medium head cauliflower, chopped or cut into florets (you can use a large head - just add an egg and a little more of the other ingredients)
- ¼ cup heavy cream*
- 1 tablespoon butter*
- 1 pinch nutmeg (about 1/8 teaspoon)
- optional - 2 to 4 Tablespoons Instant Mashers
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cup gruyere or cheddar cheese
- *I have found that the amount of butter and cream you need varies slightly with the individual cauliflower, as the exact amount and moisture content varies. Also, milk can be substituted for a less-rich casserole, with slightly more carb.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- 1) Cook the cauliflower until fork-tender - either microwave with a small amount of water (covered), or steam.
- 2) Blend cauliflower with the cream, butter, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and Instant Mashers if you're using them. A stick blender works well, but you can use a regular blender or food processor. Adjust seasonings to taste. (Note: If you use a regular blender, let the mixture cool somewhat first. Warm ingredients are fine, but hot ones have the tendency to "explode" when blended with a lid on.)
- 4) Add eggs and blend. Mix or blend in 1 cup of the cheese.
- 5) Pour into a casserole or gratin dish, and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake about 30-40 minutes, until top is golden brown. Exact time will vary by the shape of the baking dish.
- Nutritional Information: Each of 10 servings has 2 grams effective carbohydrate plus 1.5 grams fiber (3.5 grams total carbohydrate), 8 grams protein, and 134 calories.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by mchart and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Mashed Cauliflower Gratin Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Side Dishes/Vegetables