Mardi Gras Catfish Gumbo
Savor the flavors of New Orleans with this hearty gumbo. Made easy with convenient canned tomatoes, okra and corn, along with onion, bell pepper and celery this nutritious dish is as colorful as the costumes on Bourbon Street. What a great way to eat your colors a simple nutrition tip for getting the health benefits from a variety of veggies!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14 ounces) low-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (14 ounces) sliced okra, drained
- 1 can (11 ounces) corn kernels, drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound catfish fillets, tilapia or other firm, white fish fillets, cut in 1-inch chunks
- Hot pepper sauce, to taste
- Heat oil in a large, heavy deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and celery; cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and saut for another minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, okra, corn, bay leaf, thyme, salt if desired, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in fish and cover. Cook, stirring gently 2 or 3 times, until fish is just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and season with hot sauce.
- Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 250; Total fat 12g; Saturated fat 2g; Cholesterol 50mg; Sodium 480mg; Carbohydrate 17g; Fiber 4g; Protein 18g; Vitamin A 10%DV; Vitamin C 50%DV; Calcium 6%DV; Iron 10%DV
- Daily Value
This recipe is a personal recipe added by CannedFoodFan and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note