Lemon Icebox Pie
Community Recipe from
- 1 1/2 can(s) graham cracker crumbs
- 1 1/4 cup(s) sugar
- 4 tablespoon(s) melted unsalted butter
- 2 can(s) (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup(s) fresh lemon juice
- 2 large eggs separated
- 3 large egg whites
- 1.Position rack in center of oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- 2.In a medium bowl, mix together the graham cracker crumbs, 1/3 cup of sugar and the melted butter until th mixture resembles wet sand.
- 3.With clean hands, firmly press the mixture across th bottom and up the sides of th 9 inch pie pan
- 4.Using oven mitts or potholders, place pie pan in oven and bake until the crust is brown and firm about 15 minutes
- 5.Using oven mitts or potholders, carefully remove the pie crust from the oven and let cool completely on a wire rack before filing.
- 6.In a separate bow whisk together the condensed milk, lemon juice and egg yolks. Pour in the cooled pie shell
- 7.Using oven mitts or potholders, place pie in oven and bake until set, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven using oven mitts or potholders and transfer to a wire rack to cool. Turn off the oven
- 8.While the pie is baking, make the meringue by pacing the 6 egg whites in a large clean bowl and beating them with an electric mixer until soft peaks start to form.
- 9.Slowly add the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar while beating constantly. Beat until stiff, glossy peaks form. Be careful not to overbeat the meringue, as it will appear graining or clumpy instead of smooth and glossy and will be difficult to spread. (If you're not sure when the meringue is stiff enough, turn off the mixer and remove the beaters from the meringue. If they leave glossy, peaked mounds when lifted then the meringue is don.)
- 10.Using a rubber spatula, spread the meringue evenly over the warm pie filling, smoothing out the edges so the meringue wont ppucker or get runny during baking.
- 11.With a dull knife, make decorative peaks in the meringue.
- 12.Using oven mitts or potholders, position rack in the upper third of oven and preheat the broiler. If the broiler is separate from your oven, have an adult show you how to use it.
- 13.Using oven mitts or potholders, place the pie under the broiler and cook until the meringue is golden brown, about 1 minute. Make sure to keep an eye on this it will brown quickly.
- 14.With oven mitt or potholders, very carefully remove the pie from under th broiler. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. at least 2 hours.
- 15.Serve garnished with a sprig of mint and/or a lemon slice if desired.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Linwaite and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Lemon Icebox Pie Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Pies/Pastries