Kale, Lentil & Chicken Soup
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup(s) chopped onion
- 1 cup(s) coarsley chopped carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon(s) snipped fresh basil or 1 tsp dried basil, crushed
- 4 cup(s) coarsley chopped fresh kale (about 8 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 1 1 /2 cup(s) cubed cooked chicken (about 8 ounces)
- 1 medium tomatoe, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup(s) dry red lentils
- 1. Coat an unheated large nonstick saucepan with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat over medium-low heat. Add onion, carrots, and garlic to hot saucepan. Cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are nearly tender, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Add chicken broth and dried basil (if using) to vegetable mixture. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in kale, salt, and pepper. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 3. Stir in chicken, tomato, red lentils, and fresh basil (if using). Cover and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes more or until kale and lentils are tender. Makes 6 servings.
- From the Test Kitchen•Note *If you wish to substitute brown or yellow lentils for the red lentils, you'll need to increase the cooking time. Check the package directions for cooking times and add the lentils in Step 2.
- Nutrition Facts (Kale, Lentil & Chicken Soup) Servings Per Recipe 6,
- Calories 179,
- Protein (gm) 18,
- Carbohydrate (gm) 20,
- Fat, total (gm) 3,
- Cholesterol (mg) 31,
- Saturated fat (gm) 1,
- Dietary Fiber, total (gm) 5,
- Sodium (mg) 736,
- Vegetables () 2,
- Starch () 1,
- Very Lean Meat () 2,
- Fat () 1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Sweetnlow257 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Kale, Lentil & Chicken Soup Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews