ITALIAN BREAKFAST STRATA
Great Breakfast Casserole with Italian Sausage, Sun-dried Tomatoes, Bell Peppers, Fresh Basil, Mozzarella, eggs, and Italian Bread. Prepare & refrigerate overnight. Takes 35 min to prepare and 1 hour to cook. All my family loved it more than the traditional egg and pork sausage casseroles. Light, not as heavy. Found in Family Circle Magazine, Dec. 2011
Yield: 8 servings ( Serving Size: 8 )
Community Recipe from
- 1/2 cup(s) Sun-dried Tomatoes
- 3/4 pound(s) Sweet Italian Sausage Casings Removed
- 1 Green Bell Pepper cored, seeded & diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper cored seeded & diced
- 1 loaf(s) Italian Bread (14 oz) Cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 Large Eggs
- 1 cup(s) Milk
- 1/3 cup(s) Packed Basil Leaves chopped
- 2 cup(s) Shredded Mozzarella Separate into 1 cup portions
- 1. Bring 1 cup water to boil. Place sun-dried tomatoes in a bowl and add water. Let stand for 10 min.
- 2. Crumble sausage into large nonstick skillet. Cook over medium to med-high heat for 6 min. Add peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, 4 in. Remove from heat.
- 3. Drain sun-dried tomatoes and chop. Stir into sausage mixture in skillet.
- 4. Place bread cubes in a very large bowl.
- 5. In medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk and chopped basil.
- 6. Stir sausage mixture into bread along with 1 cup of the cheese.
- 7. Pour egg mixture over bread mixture and stir to moisten all ingredients.
- 8. Coat a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- 9. Pour bread mixture into prepared dish and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
- 10. Heat over to 350 degrees.
- 11. Uncover dish and sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- 12. Cover dish with foil and bake, covered, at 350 for 45 min.
- 13. Uncover and bake 15 min more.
- 14. Cool slightly before serving.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Marshabuxton and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note