Iron woman gingerbread smoothie
As women, we’re about twice as likely to suffer from iron deficiency as compared to men. If you are a vegetarian or vegan, you’re even more likely to suffer from an iron deficiency at some point in your life, especially because plant-based sources of iron are more difficult to absorb than animal-based sources. This gingerbread smoothie is packed with blackstrap molasses, which is a wonderful vegan source of iron. One tablespoon has 3.5 mg of iron and I like to sneak in two tablespoons into this smoothie. Add in some chia seeds and you will up your iron even more. Consume this smoothie with vitamin C (such as a piece of citrus fruit) to help increase the iron’s absorption
Yield: 1 serving
Community Recipe from
- 1 cup(s) almond milk
- 1-2 tablespoon(s) blackstrap molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cinamon
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tablespoon(s) Chia seeds
- 2 ice cubes
- 1. Place all ingredients, except the molasses, into a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- 2. Now add the molasses, a bit at a time, to taste. You may find that you only want 1 tbsp of molasses or maybe 2 tbsps if you like the flavour as much as I do.
- can top with peanutbutter graham crackers and coconut
This recipe is a personal recipe added by jdudeck and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note