Great recipe, added 1 cup frozen corn, and made a roux with lightly-browned flour and butter to help thicken. We ate this from round hollowed-out sour dough bread bowls, none was left over. I cut this recipe in half, as it makes over a gallon of chowder! Even cut in half, this called for a lot of clam juice, so used 2-8 oz. bottles instead, it came out perfect. Would have given 5 stars if recipe and additional clam juice were adjusted down to a smaller family amount.
Hatteras Clam Chowder
- 1 tablespoon(s) vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 stalk(s) celery, sliced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 4 cup(s) peeled, cubed white potatoes
- 2 16-ounce can(s) minced clams, with juice
- 3 quart(s) clam juice
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground black pepper
- 8 slice(s) crisp cooked bacon, crumbled
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook onion, celery and carrots in oil until they begin to soften. Stir in potatoes, clams, clam juice, thyme, pepper and bacon. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note