Grandma's Christmas Brittle
- 3 cup(s) Granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup(s) Light corn syrum
- 1 cup(s) Water
- 1/4 cup(s) Butter Cubed
- 1 teaspoon(s) Salt
- 16 ounce(s) Unsealed dry roasted peanuts
- 1.5 teaspoon(s) Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon(s) Water
- 1 teaspoon(s) Vanilla extract
- Grease two baking sheets and keep warm in a 200° oven. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and 1 cup water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until a candy thermometer reaches 240° (soft-ball stage). Stir in butter, salt and peanuts. Continue heating, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches 300°.
- Meanwhile, combine the baking soda, 1 teaspoon water and vanilla. Remove saucepan from the heat. Stir in baking soda mixture. Quickly pour half the mixture over each baking sheet. Spread with a buttered metal spatula to a 1/4-in. thickness. Cool. Break into pieces. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 2-1/2 pounds.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Dprichmond and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Grandma's Christmas Brittle Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Candy