Gluten free mocha chocolate cake
DessertFebruary/March 2010 Story Tools E-Mail to a friend E-Mail to the editor Post a Reader comment Printer Friendly Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Mocha Chocolate Cake MAKES TWO 9-INCH LAYERS, THREE 8-INCH LAYERS OR 36 CUPCAKES Coffee enhances the rich chocolate flavor of this moist and delicious gluten-free, dairy-free cake. This versatile recipe, which can be made egg free with good results, makes an impressive layer cake or 36 cupcakes. Top with frosting of choice or try Mocha "Buttercream"
Yield: 12 servings
Community Recipe from
- 1 cup(s) Hot brewed coffee
- 1 cup(s) Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup(s) hot water
- 3 cup(s) gluten-free All-Purpose Flour Blend, more for dusting pan
- 2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 teaspoon(s) Xanthan gum
- 1 cup(s) Margerine or shortening
- 2 1/2 cup(s) Sugar
- 4 Lg eggs. Rm temp
- 2 teaspoon(s) Vanilla extract
- DessertFebruary/March 2010
- Story Tools
- E-Mail to a friend
- E-Mail to the editor
- Post a Reader comment
- Printer Friendly
- Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Mocha Chocolate Cake
- MAKES TWO 9-INCH LAYERS, THREE 8-INCH LAYERS OR 36 CUPCAKES
- Coffee enhances the rich chocolate flavor of this moist and delicious gluten-free, dairy-free cake. This versatile recipe, which can be made egg free with good results, makes an impressive layer cake or 36 cupcakes. Top with frosting of choice or try Mocha "Buttercream" Frosting or Chocolate Ganache Frosting.
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour three 8-inch round cake pans for Mocha Chocolate Cake, pictured here.
- 2. In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the coffee and cocoa powder. Add hot water and whisk until smooth.
- 3. On a piece of waxed paper, sift together flour blend, baking soda, baking powder, salt and xanthan gum. Set aside.
- 4. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the margarine or shortening and sugar at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes. Lower the speed to medium and add the eggs, one at a time. Then add the vanilla and cream well. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- 5. Blend half the dry ingredients into the wet batter, followed by half the cocoa mixture. Blend in remaining dry ingredients and cocoa mixture, mixing on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- 6. Spoon the batter equally into prepared cake pans or standard-size cupcake tins. Bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes. Watch carefully as time will vary depending on oven and pan size. Cake is done when an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- 7. Remove cake from oven and cool in pans for 20 minutes. Then turn cake out onto a wire rack to cool completely before frosting. Frost tops of layers with frosting of choice or try Mocha “Buttercream” Frosting or Chocolate Ganache Frosting. Assemble cake and frost sides.
- Each cake serving with Chocolate Ganache Frosting contains 578 calories, 39g total fat, 21g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 94mg cholesterol, 494mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate, 7g fiber, 8g protein.
- *TIP For Egg-Free Mocha Chocolate Cake, mix ½ cup applesauce with 2 teaspoons baking powder in a small bowl. In another small bowl, thoroughly mix 4 tablespoons cold water with 1 tablespoon egg replacer. (Gluten-free egg replacer is available from Ener-G Foods, ener-g.com.) Add egg replacer mixture to applesauce mixture. Then add the entire egg-free mixture to the creamed shortening and sugar and proceed with the recipe instructions. The egg-free cake won’t rise quite as high as the original recipe but the flavor is still delicious.
- Recipe by Diane Kittle, owner of Dee's One Smart Cookie Bake Shop in Glastonbury, CT.
- Read More on These Topics
- Celiac/Gluten FreeDessert
This recipe is a personal recipe added by DeeTyner and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Gluten free mocha chocolate cake Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts