German Red Cabbage
Community Recipe from
- 1 whole(s) small head of red cabbage
- 1 whole(s) medium onion
- 2 whole(s) cloves
- 1 whole(s) bay leaf
- 1 whole(s) medium apple
- 1/2 pound(s) bacon
- 1 to 2 teaspoon(s) sugar
- 1/8 liter water
- 2 tablespoon(s) vinegar
- 3 to 4 tablespoon(s) red wine
- 1. Remove bad leaves around red cabbage, wash and divide into quarters.
- 2. Cut red cabbage into thin slices.
- 3. Cut bacon into small slices.
- 4. Put bacon in pot, let brown, sprinkle with sugar, add red cabbage.
- 5. Spike onion with whole cloves and toss in pot.
- 6. Peel apple, cut in quarters and add into pot.
- 7. Add 1/8 liter water and cook at mild temperature for 1 hour. From time to time check whether enough water is in pot; if not, add a little.
- 8. Shortly before cabbage is done, add vinegar and red wine. This gives the cabbage the nice red color.
- 9. To thicken gravy, sprinkle a little flour over cabbage, stir.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by vermit and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
German Red Cabbage Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Side Dishes/Vegetables