German Chocolate Cake
Community Recipe from
- German Chocolate Cake
- 1/2 cup(s) nonalkinalized (natural) cocoa powder (i.e., Hershey's)
- 4 teaspoon(s) instant espresso
- 2/3 cup(s) water boiling
- 2/3 cup(s) plain yogurt
- 4 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 3 stick(s) butter
- 2 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 6 large egg
- 2 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- Coconut-Pecan Filling
- 8 large egg yolks
- 2 cup(s) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 2 stick(s) butter
- 2 cup(s) heavy cream
- 2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 3 cup(s) pecans chopped
- 14 ounce(s) sweetened flaked coconut 1 package
- For the cake:
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease three 8-inch cake pans with butter and cover the bottom with circles of parchment paper. Grease the parchment and flour the pans. Tap out the excess flour.
- 2. Mix the cocoa and instant coffee in a small bowl; add the boiling water and mix until smooth. Cool to room temperature, and stir in the yogurt and vanilla.
- 3. Beat the butter in a bowl with the mixer set at medium-high speed until smooth and shiny, about 30 seconds. Gradually sprinkle in the sugar; beat until mixture is fluffy and almost white, 3 to 5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating 1 full minute after each addition.
- 4. Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. With mixer on lowest speed, add 1/3 of dry ingredients to batter, followed immediately by 1/3 of cocoa mixture; mix until ingredients are almost incorporated into the batter. Repeat the process 2 more times. When batter appears blended, stop mixer and scrape bowl sides with rubber spatula. Return mixer to low speed; beat until batter looks satiny; about 15 seconds longer.
- 5. Divide batter evenly between the three pans. Spread batter to the pan sides and smooth top with a rubber spatula. Bake cakes until a toothpick comes out cleanly, or with just a crumb or two adhering - baking about 18 minutes.
- 6. Transfer the pans to a wire rack. Cool for 10 minutes and invert to the rack. Peel off the paper liners.
- Make the filling:
- 1. Mix the egg yolks, sugar, salt, butter, cream, and vanilla in a medium, non-reactive saucepan. Cook over a low heat, stirring constantly until mixture is puffy and starts to thicken, 15 to 20 minutes. Pour into a large bowl and stir in the coconut and pecans.
- Assemble the cake:
- 1. Place one of the cakes on the cake plate, cover with the coconut-pecan filling, and repeat for each of the remaining layers. Use the remaining filling to cover the sides of the cake.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by auskevin and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note