Community Recipe from
- 3.5 cup(s) Water
- 2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 1 teaspoon(s) red pepper flakes
- 4 whole(s) chicken thighs
- 1 pound(s) pork sausage
- 3/4 cup(s) celery finely chopped
- 1 onion diced
- 1/2 cup(s) green bell pepper diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoon(s) dried parsley
- 2 teaspoon(s) cajun or creole seasoning
- 2 cup(s) long grain rice
- Clean and rinse chicken , Place in large pot . Add water, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Bring to a slow simmer over medium heat. Once water begins to boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover tightly and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove chicken from broth and set aside. Strain broth and measure 4 cups liquid (not rendered fat – the fat will set on top of the broth). Set broth aside.
- Remove skin, bones, etc. from chicken. Cut chicken into bite sized pieces and set aside.
- Sauté sausage, celery, onion and bell pepper until sausage is cooked through. Add garlic and parsley then stir to combine.
- Combine 4 cups broth, chicken pieces, sausage mixture, Cajun seasoning and rice in your Dutch oven (or large pot with a tight-fitting lid). Bring to a boil, cover then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 15 minutes or so before serving.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by sarcasticnwitty and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Dirty Rice Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes