Crispy Smashed Potatoes
Williams-Sonoma Kitchen. A two-step cooking process yields potatoes that are tender on the inside and crispy on the outside. First, simmer them in salted water. Let cool, then smash the potatoes and fry in a griddle pan until browned. Garnish with a handful of chopped fresh herbs.
Yield: 10 servings
Community Recipe from
- 3 pound(s) baby potatoes each 1-2 inches in diameter
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup(s) olive oil
- 1 sprig(s) rosemary plus 1/2 tsp. chopped
- 2 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) thyme chopped
- 2 teaspoon(s) flat-leaf parsley chopped
- Put the potatoes in a large pot and add water to cover by 3 inches. Season the water with salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, about 10 minutes. Drain well in a colander. Transfer the potatoes to a towel-lined baking sheet and let cool. Using the smooth side of a meat tenderizer, carefully smash each potato to about 1/2-inch thickness.
- Preheat an oven to 200ºF. Set a wire rack on a baking sheet.
- In a square stainless-steel griddle pan over medium-high heat, warm the 1/4 cup olive oil. Add the rosemary sprig and fry until crispy, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Working in batches and adding more olive oil to the griddle pan as needed, sear the smashed potatoes, turning once, until well browned and crispy, about 3 minutes per side; add 1/2 to 1 Tbs. butter during the last 1 minute of cooking. Transfer the potatoes to the rack-lined baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven to keep warm.
- To serve, transfer the potatoes to a warmed serving bowl. Top with the chopped rosemary, thyme and parsley and garnish with the fried rosemary sprig. Serve immediately. Serves 10 to 12.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by ftcollinsco and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Crispy Smashed Potatoes Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Side Dishes/Vegetables