Creamy Roasted Tomato & Basil Soup
Community Recipe from
- 1.5 pound(s) roma tomatoes, sliced lengthwise
- 1 ½ lbs Roma tomatoes, sliced lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- fried basil
- goat cheese, crumbled.
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2. Spread tomato halves onto a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- 3. Roast tomatoes for about 1 hour.
- 4. While tomatoes are in the oven, melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- 5. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
- 6. Stir in the garlic and thyme and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- 7. Add crushed tomatoes, basils and sugar. Season with salt and pepper.
- 8. Stir the mixture and reduce the heat to medium or medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes, covered.
- 9. Pour broth and roasted tomatoes into the pot. Season with salt and pepper.
- 10. Continue to simmer soup, covered, for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 11. Carefully pour soup into a blender and blend until smooth.
- 12. Pour soup back into the pot and stir in the cream until fully incorporated.
- 13. Simmer the soup for 3 minutes before ladling into bowls.
- 14. Top each soup with a sprinkle of goat cheese and fried basil and serve hot.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by acrane and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Creamy Roasted Tomato & Basil Soup Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews