Cream Cheese Coffee Cake from the AJC
Community Recipe from
- 10 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 7 tablespoon(s) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup(s) sour cream
- 2 lemons zest & juice, divided
- 2 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 8 ounce(s) Neufchatel softened
- 1/2 cup(s) sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) lemon zest finely grated
- cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 10-inch tube pan with nonstick cooking spray. In the bowl of a standard mixer, cream butter and 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Turn off mixer and add baking powder, baking soda, salt and eggs. Beat mixture 1 minute, then add sour cream and lemon zest from 2 lemons and beat just until mixed. Turn off mixer, add flour and beat again just until mixed. Remove bowl from mixer.
- Remove 2 cups batter and set aside. Put remaining batter in prepared tube pan and smooth top. Return bowl to mixer and beat Neufchatel, lemon juice from 2 lemons and remaining 5 tablespoons sugar until fluffy, about 1 minute. Remove bowl from mixer and stir in 1/4 cup reserved batter. Spread cream cheese mixture over batter in pan, staying 1 inch away from sides of pan. Spread remaining reserved batter over cream cheese mixture and smooth top. Using a butter knife, gently swirl filling into batter using a figure-8 motion, being careful not to reach all the way to the bottom.
- In a small bowl, make topping by combining almonds, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest. Sprinkle topping evenly over cake batter and gently press into batter to adhere. Bake 45 minutes, or until cake is just done. Remove cake to a wire rack and cool 1 hour. Then run a knife around outside of tube pan and place a cookie sheet on top. Reverse cake onto cookie sheet and remove pan. Put wire rack on bottom of cake and reverse. Now cake is on wire rack with topping side up. Allow to continue to cool, about 1 more hour before serving.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by marybillingsley and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Cream Cheese Coffee Cake from the AJC Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Breakfast/Brunch