Cornstarch Ice Cream
Community Recipe from
- 2 1/2 cup(s) light cream, half-and-half or milk (whole or skim)
- 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 1/16 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla
- 3 tablespoon(s) cornstarch
- 1. Put 2 cups cream, half-and-half or milk, the sugar and salt in a saucepan over medium-low heat. If using a vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise and scrape seeds into liquid, then add pod. Cook until mixture begins to steam.
- 2. In a bowl, blend cornstarch and remaining cream, half-and-half or milk; there should be no lumps. Remove bean pod from pot and discard. Add cornstarch mixture to pot. Cook, stirring, until it starts to thicken and barely reaches a boil, about 5 minutes. Immediately reduce heat to very low and stir for 5 minutes or so until thick. Stir in vanilla extract, if using.
- 3. If mixture has lumps, strain it into a bowl. Chill until cool, a couple of hours (you can skip this step if you have a machine with a built-in freezer). When cool or if there are no lumps, pour into an ice cream machine and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Yield: 1 generous pint.
- Honey-Jam Variation Substitute honey for half the sugar. Add 1/2 cup good jam to mixture before freezing.
- Buttermilk or Yogurt Substitute buttermilk or yogurt for half the cream or milk.
- Cherry-Vanilla Add 1 cup halved, pitted cherries just before freezing.
- Strawberry, Blueberry or Peach Add 1 cup hulled, sliced strawberries, blueberries, or peeled and chopped peaches before freezing.
- Coffee Substitute 1/2 cup very strong coffee for 1/2 cup cream or milk.
- Coconut Substitute 1 cup coconut milk for 1 cup cream or milk; add 1/2 cup toasted dried coconut if you like.
- Mint Chocolate Chip Add 1/2 cup minced mint and 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate just before freezing.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by kitchenwitchCO and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Cornstarch Ice Cream Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts