Chicken with Wild Mushrooms
Community Recipe from
- 2 whole(s) chickens, cut into eighths
- 1/2 cup(s) olive oil
- 8 whole(s) garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 pound(s) assorted wild mushrooms (e.g. porcini, cremini) stems removed, 1 1/2" diced
- 8 sprig(s) fresh thyme tied together with string
- 1/4 cup(s) dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon(s) minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 2 cup(s) white wine
- 2 cup(s) chicken stock
- 3 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter at room temp
- 1. Preheat oven to 350.
- 2. Pat the chicken parts dry with paper towels and sprinkle both sides liberally with salt and pepper. Place 1/2 cup flour in a bowl and dredge the chicken in the flour. In a large (12") ovenproof pot (a Dutch Oven would be best), heat the oil. Add the chicken in three batches (don't crowd!) and brown lightly over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken to a plate and continue until all the chicken is browned.
- 3. Add the whole garlic cloves, mushrooms and thyme to the pot and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the sherry and cook for one minute, scraping up the brown bits. Add the minced garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. Add the wine, chicken stock, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper and bring to a simmer. Add the chicken (large pieces first), cover, and place in the middle of the oven for 30-35 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through (about 165 degrees on an instant-read thermometer).
- 4. Remove the chicken to a bowl and discard the thyme. With a fork, smash together the butter and 1/4 cup flour and add it to the sauce. Simmer, stirring constantly, over medium heat for 5 minutes, until slightly thickened. Season to taste - you will want to add salt and pepper as it should be highly seasoned. Put the chicken back in the sauce and serve hot.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by CKSchirmeier and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Chicken with Wild Mushrooms Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes