Chicken Khao Soi Recipe
Community Recipe from
- 4 large dried New Mexico or guajillo, chiles stemmed, halved seeded
- 8 clove(s) garlic peeled, sliced
- 2 medium shallots halved
- 1 2" piece of ginger peeled, sliced
- 1/4 cup(s) cilantro stems chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon(s) ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon(s) curry powder
- 2 tablespoon(s) vegetable oil
- 2 14 ounce cans unsweeted coconut milk
- 2 cup(s) chicken broth
- 1.5 pound(s) skinless, boneless chicken thighs halved, lengthwise
- 1 pound(s) chinese egg noodles
- 3 tablespoon(s) or more fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon(s) light brown sugar
- sliced red onions, bean sprouts, cilantro springs
- crispy fried onions or shallots, chili oil and lime wedges
- For khao soi paste:
- Place chiles in a small heatproof bowl, add boiling water to cover, and let soak until softened, 25-30 minutes.
- Drain chiles, reserving soaking liquid. Purée chiles, shallots, garlic, ginger, cilantro stems, coriander, turmeric, curry powder, and 2 tablespoons soaking liquid in a food processor, adding more soaking liquid by tablespoonfuls, if needed, until smooth.
- For soup:
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add khao soi paste; cook, stirring constantly, until slightly darkened, 4-6 minutes. Add coconut milk and broth. Bring to a boil; add chicken. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is fork-tender, 20-25 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate. Let cool slightly; shred meat.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions.
- Add chicken, 3 tablespoons fish sauce, and sugar to soup. Season with salt or more fish sauce, if needed. Divide soup and noodles among bowls and serve with toppings.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by cateqn and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Chicken Khao Soi Recipe Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews